Adopting a child won't change the world, but for that child, the world will change.



August 19, 2009

First Interview

This afternoon I had my first interview with our social worker. I was nervous about being "interviewed" but also felt a sense of comfort since it was about things I love and feel passionate about. Some of the things we spoke about were: my education, my family, fears about adoption, marriage, and thoughts on discipline. It was not just her quizzing me, but her getting to know me and providing me with information and resources that will be very helpful. She gave me the names of some books that tell about the orphanages in China to help paint a picture of what our baby will be coming from and could have experienced. She gave me the names of some other books that deal with attachment and bonding. Considering what our baby will be coming from, attaching and bonding will be something we have to work on... to build her trust. Our social worker is very helpful, supportive, and has a lot of valuable resources for us. We still have a couple more visits (and a lot more paperwork) with her before she begins to write her report to submit to our adoption agency.
Today's meeting was one more thing checked off our list...

6 comments:

The Baker Family said...

Sounds like it went great! I'm glad she gave you resources and is someone that can help prepare you. Susan, you are so well spoken and clear with conveying your thoughts and emotions -- I am sure she got a wonderful first impression!

stephanie said...

WOW. Where did you do that?

Moore Memories said...

Great! I bet it felt good to talk to someone that knows so many "inside" things that you may be curious about!

The Killough's said...

I am so glad that it went well! I can't wait to hear all about it!!

Johnson's said...

I'm so glad that it went well (but not surprised!) And, I am glad you found your way around in the "big city" getting there ;)

Ben and Nikki said...

I am so excited for you! Some of our friends recently adopted internationally and are thrilled.