Adopting a child won't change the world, but for that child, the world will change.



July 22, 2010

The Call

The morning of Thursday, July 1st started of fairly normal.  Robert was home with us since it is his regularly scheduled day off.  We were expecting our Ro*ms To Go delivery that day.  Turns out we were one of their first deliveries for the day.  They dropped the bunk bed off at 9 a.m.  We spent the whole morning taking the crib down, putting up the bunk bed, cleaning out dresser drawers, moving Barrett's clothes into his new dresser etc... Needless to say, our house looked like a tornado had come through!  Around 12:30 we put Barrett down for his nap in his new big boy bed for the very first time.  Around 12:40 the phone rang.  Robert was nearest to it, so he looked at the caller ID and said, "It's Chinese Children (our agency)".  He immediately handed the phone to me like it was a hot potato.  We both just stared at each other for a minute.  After all, our agency handles EVERYTHING through email and postal mail, except for one thing... THE CALL!  I answered the phone.  A brief introduction of the lady's name and who she was calling with was given.  She then followed with this question, " Are you ready for a princess for that house?"  While I am carrying on this part of the conversation with our agency, I am also doing hand signals and trying to talk with my lips and no voice to Robert who is standing there.  He is whispering back, " Are we next?"  I pointed to the phone and mouthed, "We are right now"!  The two of us then huddled together and held the phone between us so that we could each hear what she was saying.  She proceeded to tell us about our daughter.  She told us her birthday, about her health, her personality, and what province she was from... all the while Robert is wiping tears from his eyes and my arms are filled with goose bumps.  She was describing our daughter, the very child that God has chosen to be in our family.  The child that we have logged in many, many hours praying for.  Our agency told us to watch our email because her pictures and files were being sent as we spoke.  The first picture we opened was the one of her standing at the push toy with the pink shirt on.  The second we saw her face staring back at us, we knew for certain this was our daughter.  Blake pulled up a chair and sat as we read through her files.  After we read the ones about her personality, Blake whispered, "I think I already love her".   The next few days were spent in a frenzy of having doctors review her files and our heads spinning with the reality of this really happening, and happening right now!

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

It is absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing the inside moments of when you and Robert first heard that your Princess was coming to your house. I couldn't help but tear up too! Blake's comment is so sweet.

fivemjs said...

Susan - that was wonderful. I loved hearing about your thoughts and I can literally picture you and Robert as you received that life changing call. I can hardly wait to see what happens next!!! I just know that Brynn is already loved so so so very much by all your family and friends! I can't wait to see a picture of her in your arms!! Bless you my friend!

Johnson's said...

I get goosebumps each time you talk about this call. What an amazing moment that you will always treasure! I can't wait to love on your sweet princess.

Unknown said...

She is gorgeous! Love reading the story of "the call." If you are interested in reading ours, you can go to our blog and go down to January posts. You will see one called "boy girl boy girl boy girl" which shares our referral experience. So encouraging to see God's hands so intimately involved in all of our processes!

Check out www.jiayindesigns.com--it's a business I help out with that helps support a Chinese missionary family. You can get a charm with your daughter's Chinese name on it to wear in China and onward.
Kelly

Gay said...

Susan & Robert,
She is beautiful! I can't wait to meet her. Am anxious to hear the rest of the story.
Miss Gay

Josh and Shan said...

I just love hearing this story!!! I've heard it and now read it about 3 times and still get chill bumps! We can't wait for her to get here!

Team China! =)

Moore Memories said...

Still cry reading the "events" of such an amazing day! I can't wait for you to tell Brynn this story someday too. She will love hearing how special she is to so many.

The Baker Family said...

It is such a touching story of when you got the call. I am so glad it was a day that you and Robert received the news together. A memory to always be treasured. And to know there are so many more to come!!!!

The McBrides said...

She is a beautiful addition to your beautiful family!!! We cannot wait to meet her!!!